If you’re already lagging behind on your New Year’s Resolutions (check our Sustainable New Year’s Resolution blog post here), then this smoothie bowl recipe is for you. And if you’re sticking to your nutrition plan, then this recipe is also for you. (Up Fuse is for everyone!) These smoothie bowls are perfect for breakfast, dinner, dessert and even for a hearty snack. They are also super customisable and take no more than 15 minutes to make.
A smoothie bowl is essentially a thick smoothie; you eat out of a bowl instead of drink out of a straw. First, we’ll tell you how we made ours and then, we’ll share a helpful guide to making these bowls without sticking to the ingredients we used.
- For the bowl:
- 2 (frozen) bananas
- 1 cup (frozen) strawberries
- ½ cup water, if needed
- 2 tbsp. honey
- For the garnish:
- ½ an apple
- 3 tbsp. raisins
- 3 tbsp. pealed and chopped almonds
- Chop your bananas to bite size pieces and half your strawberries if they are too large.
- Blend the fruit. You may want to add a little water to adjust the consistency to your liking. Remember this is a bowl and not a smoothie, so we don’t want it to be too runny.
- Add your honey! You could also add spices at this point. Cinnamon is a really good idea!
- Pour your mixture into a bowl and add your toppings!
This recipe is filling, customisable and so quick to make! Pack it in a jar, a cute lunchbox and you have a healthy meal to keep you fueled during your day. If you don’t plan on eating it right away, store in the freezer. Leave it 15-20 minutes out before you eat it though, to enjoy its creamy texture.
This recipe is incredibly versatile and here’s how you can make it your own:
- Start with a cup of any frozen fruit you like and a frozen banana.
- You need ½ a cup of liquid. You can add water, milk or orange juice.
- Instead of honey, you can use peanut butter!
- And use about anything for garnish! Nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit or granola.
Thank you Buzzfeed for the inspiration!